Thursday, March 25, 2010

Exact Change


Yesterday I was picking up some groceries and got in the line for check-out behind an older couple. When it came time for them to pay, he pulled out three crisp bills and set them on the check counter but when the cashier started to take them he waved his hand at her. Hold on. He then retrieved his coin purse from his coat pocket and proceeded to count out the 66 cents needed in dimes, nickels, and pennies. This was adorable enough, but when I looked at his wife, it got even more adorable. She rolled her eyes, arms crossed against her chest, and sighed, as if he did this all the time and it was a horrible bother. But in her eyes and on her lips there was a deep fondness. She watched him count each coin with a look that was so loving it bordered on condescending, as if to say 'that's my love *sigh*'. They were beautiful. 


I'm probably going to be one of those people. The exact-change-counters. I'll stand at the counter counting pennies while the cashier flashes sympathetic 'sorry!' eyes to those in line behind me. And when I put the last coin down, I'll say 'look at that!' like I remember my grandpa doing, as though I am shocked to have all the coins for this large purchase. And if I'm reeeaaally, reeeaaally lucky, I'll have someone to smile fondly and sigh at me while I do it. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment